Monday, May 01, 2006

Illegal Immigrants- My take:

I have watched and been moved by the peaceful protest of over a million aliens and their supporters over the past few weeks. What it did was take me back to my old drunk days where I held down a job in the housekeeping department of a Palm Springs hotel, doing a job generally done by immigrants. I remember working alongside many "illegal" immigrants and I still remain impressed with their work ethic and the fact that they love this country. I can also remember the fear in their eyes when the occasional INS sweep would grab a few of them and deport them. Since Palm Springs was only about 120 miles from the border, most were back within a week.

This was back in the 1980's when the last immigration law was being debated and passed into law. I told my co-workers then as I believe now that we need to have control of our borders. I also believe we should treat fairly those who are working and are obeying the laws. Usually when someone was deported from my workplace, I considered that person a friend and was saddened to see that happen. I was also happy to see them get the legal status offered by the amnesty offered then. While sneaking across the border is illegal, so is exceeding the posted speed limit. I do not consider myself a "criminal" because I knowingly and regularly exceed the speed limit, nor do I consider an otherwise law abiding "illegal" immigrant a criminal.

When I saw that the demographics of the Hispanic community showed that they were moving away from the border states, I knew it was only a matter of time until some redneck would have a hissy fit when they heard Spanish spoken in their grocery store or would happen across a Spanish language radio station when turning the dial from Rush Limbaugh to This Week in NASCAR. It has become the wedge issue of 2008. I do understand the frustration of the American worker, I just feel it is misplaced.

The Republican party bills itself as the friend of small business. While they do pass some legislation that relieves small business of some of their tax burden, they generally go out of their way with tax breaks and incentives to favor "big box" retailers with products manufactured overseas over the small mom and pop manufacturers and retailers. Similarly, the Democrats bill themselves as the friends of labor while negotiating trade agreements making it easier for American companies to outsource their jobs overseas. Those fortunate to keep their jobs face stagnant wages and declining benefits. Small business and labor have both been sold out by the politicians of both parties to do the bidding of their multinational corporate masters.

So what is my solution:

1) Increase the border patrol and enforcement along the border. While we are at it, enhance port security by inspecting every shipping container that comes into our ports. Make it part of the cost of doing business in the USA. If importers whine that this drives up the costs of importing goods to the point that it becomes more competitive to make them here at home, I won't lose any sleep.

2) Treat those that are already here with dignity and respect. Making them felons is just mean spirited. Allow them some legal way to achieve the American dream.

3) Enforce minimum wage laws, workers standards and health and safety laws for all workers. Do not allow those who exploit immigrants gain any sort of competitive advantage over those who play by the rules. This will also level the playing field for American workers willing to do the same work as the immigrants.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Evo said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, AL!

I like your analogy between "speeding" and "border hopping"... illegal yes; criminal no. And I like where you are heading on the "wedge issue" thoughts. I'm going to be blogging about wedge issues, how to view them, and WHO gets them going.

Keep writing, keep writing!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Al said...

Lack of fair wages and stagnant living standards for working class Americans is what is behind the anger. Maybe part of the problem is that immigrants are doing the jobs Americans used to do for less money. I remember 20-25 years ago, everyone wanted to be in construction because the money was so good. However, the current corporate climate in which massive layoffs are called for in bad times while expanding operations overseas and huge CEO compensations are called for in good times. Just look at Exxon, the oil industry virtually wiped out an entire generation of workers during the lean 1980-90's and now they are facing a workforce that is ready to retire. It was only in the last couple years that students started to major in petroleum engineering again. They reward their shortsightedness by giving their retiring CEO nearly half a billion dollars.

So what the hell does that ramble have to do with illegal aliens? Hell, I don't know. I'll have to do an energy blog soon. Lori, please post a Bush turd at your blog page.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home